Attention : If you are having trouble signing into your ForumIAS account, please click here to reset your password and login.
What is meant by Participatory Identification of Poor (PIP)process?
  • govt. has decided to remove the bpl criteria in nrlm and insert pip criteria instead.
    What does this PIP means?
    each-time you're defeated you come closer to the victory
    | political science |didn't qualified in first attempt- 2014, but this isn't the end.
  • In simple parlance it is identification of poor by neighbors. If the Gram Sabha approves I am poor - that means I am poor ( Does not matter even if I have scooter, land, fridge etc. )

Earlier poor where identified by fixed parameters - Some where naturally included and others where naturally excluded. For example - If I have a house under IAY I was not counted as poor as the parameter was- " Person having pucca house is excluded" but actually I am poor as I do not have sufficient means of livelihood. Getting a house under IAY made be as non poor and hence deprived me of various benefits by keeping me outside many Govt. initiatives. - this was changed after some time but still many such loopholes existed.

To rectify the above problem and to have a better targeting of schemes we have PIP - Jargon = Participatory identification of poor. For layman - Gram Sabha has approved I am poor, that means I am poor.

Benefits-

- The poor people of the society ( village ) are identified by consensus of all.
    - Better identification + no free rider.
    - Deepening of democracy.
    - Many loopholes of previous method plugged.
    - This PIP is in news in context of revamp of Aajeevika. ( Same old NRLM ).

I have tried to show you a basic picture - there are many minute details that I have skipped. Will come back to this question in detail after prelims. :)
  • Till then watch this:

• @Partho will wait.
    | political science |didn't qualified in first attempt- 2014, but this isn't the end.

• is this part of 12th plan reform or an independent initiative for NRLM?
  • yes . govt. is planning to put pip in place of bpl for enlisting beneficiaries .
Image Map

Preparing for 2014/ Interview? Read these

1. India After Gandhi - click here
2. Does the Elephant Dance? - click here
3. The Men Who Ruled India - click here
4. Sophie's World - click here
5. The Service Of The State - click here
6. English August - click here

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.
Just dont spread the word ;)

No Sign up required - Just sign in using your Google or facebook account

Login with Facebook

In this Discussion

3 Essential Books for Public Administration (Optional)

1. Laxmikant's Public Administration [link]
2. Prasad & Prasad Administrative Thinkers[link]
3. Mohit Bhattacharya [link]

Top Posters