Test Series Students Notice Board | Prelims Test Series | INTERVIEW PREPARATION GUIDE | BOOKS FOR PRELIMS | First time user? Read posting RULES
What is meant by Participatory Identification of Poor (PIP)process? - Public Policy - UPSC 2013
Image Map
New Feature Added: Now you do not need to refresh your page to view the latest comments in a discussion . Just stay on the page and the new comments shall be updated on the same page automatically in real time :)
What is meant by Participatory Identification of Poor (PIP)process?
  • govt. has decided to remove the bpl criteria in nrlm and insert pip criteria instead.
    What does this PIP means?
    luck is a wow factor that i don't have but who cares when you are destined to win | every-time you're defeated you come closer to the victory
    | political science | first attempt 2014
  • In simple parlance it is identification of poor by neighbors. If the Gram Sabha approves I am poor - that means I am poor ( Does not matter even if I have scooter, land, fridge etc. )

Earlier poor where identified by fixed parameters - Some where naturally included and others where naturally excluded. For example - If I have a house under IAY I was not counted as poor as the parameter was- " Person having pucca house is excluded" but actually I am poor as I do not have sufficient means of livelihood. Getting a house under IAY made be as non poor and hence deprived me of various benefits by keeping me outside many Govt. initiatives. - this was changed after some time but still many such loopholes existed.

To rectify the above problem and to have a better targeting of schemes we have PIP - Jargon = Participatory identification of poor. For layman - Gram Sabha has approved I am poor, that means I am poor.

Benefits-

- The poor people of the society ( village ) are identified by consensus of all.
    - Better identification + no free rider.
    - Deepening of democracy.
    - Many loopholes of previous method plugged.
    - This PIP is in news in context of revamp of Aajeevika. ( Same old NRLM ).

I have tried to show you a basic picture - there are many minute details that I have skipped. Will come back to this question in detail after prelims. :)
  • Till then watch this:

• @Partho will wait.
    luck is a wow factor that i don't have but who cares when you are destined to win | every-time you're defeated you come closer to the victory

• is this part of 12th plan reform or an independent initiative for NRLM?
    Hyderabad| UPSC- CSM 2011,12,13; SBI PO 2012,13; SSC 2011-CEX Insp;
    CAPF 2013- AIR 185
  • yes . govt. is planning to put pip in place of bpl for enlisting beneficiaries .
Image Map

Preparing for 2014/ Interview? Read these

1. India After Gandhi - click here
2. Does the Elephant Dance? - click here
3. The Men Who Ruled India - click here
4. Sophie's World - click here
5. The Service Of The State - click here
6. English August - click here

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.
Just dont spread the word ;)

No Sign up required - Just sign in using your Google or facebook account

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

MISSION IAS 2014

Philosophy Booklist

1. An Introduction to Indian Philosophy[link]
2. Critical Survey of Indian Philosophy[link]
3. Critical History of Western Philosophy by Y Masih[link]
4. The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant[link]
5. Social and Political Philosophy by O P Gauba[link]

3 Essential Books for Public Administration (Optional)

1. Laxmikant's Public Administration [link]
2. Prasad & Prasad Administrative Thinkers[link]
3. Mohit Bhattacharya [link]

Top Posters