Attention: All ForumIAS Test Series Tests will close on August 24. Candidates are requested to attempt Tests before August 24, 5 PM. Tests will not be avilable after that.
ForumIAS.com will be expecting extensive load on August 24 & 25. We have enabled auto updation of comments in real time. Please do not refresh the page for seeing latest comments as it will be displayed automatically. This will ensure that server load is within limits and ForumIAS will be online and available to a wider audience.
Question bank : Multiple Choice based Questions for Prelims
  • @Anurag_Sinha

1. Wiki Uncle:

Reducing current account deficits

Action to reduce a substantial current account deficit usually involves increasing exports (goods going out of a country and entering abroad countries) or decreasing imports (goods coming from a foreign country into a country).

Firstly, this is generally accomplished directly through import restrictions, quotas, or duties (though these may indirectly limit exports as well), or by promoting exports (through subsidies, custom duty exemptions etc.).

Influencing the exchange rate to make exports cheaper for foreign buyers will indirectly increase the balance of payments.

Also, Currency wars, a phenomenon evident in post recessionary markets is a protectionist policy, whereby countries devalue their currencies to ensure export competitiveness.

Secondly, adjusting government spending to favor domestic suppliers is also effective.

Less obvious methods to reduce a current account deficit include measures that increase domestic savings (or reduced domestic borrowing), including a reduction in borrowing by the national government.

2. Mrunal Uncle:

http://mrunal.org/2012/05/economy-current-account-deficit-how-to.html
    Thanked by 1rm1
  • Partho said:

@rm1

Metal Processing Industries produce Mercury. See Point 3 below.

Source: Wiki Uncle!

1. 65% from stationary combustion, of which coal-fired power plants are the largest aggregate source
    2. 11% from gold production.
    3. 6.8% from non-ferrous metal production, typically smelters.
    4. 6.4% from cement production.
    5. 3.0% from waste disposal, including municipal and hazardous waste, crematoria, and sewage sludge incineration.
    6. 3.0% from caustic soda production.
    7. 1.4% from pig iron and steel production.
    8. 1.1% from mercury production, mainly for batteries.
    9. 2.0% from other sources.

Thanks for the info! Anyways, the question was lifted directly from a test series paper by CL. Also I guess the question is indicating to metal processing industry as whole....other than iron and steel industry as well.

• @Partho @Anurag_Sinha its Gulf of Cambay(Also called as Khambat,Gujarat).

rm1 said:

Which of the following has a potential for harnessing of tidal energy in India?

A. Gulf of Cambay
    B. Gulf of Mannar
    C. Backwaters of Kearla
    D. Chilka lake

i guess gulf of cambay and gulf of kuthc are the ones being harnessed. definitely not chilka lake. not so sure about backwaters of kerala. will go with A

Thanked by 1Partho
  • Don't we import majority of our edible oil as well? Heard/read somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• India's CAD is being inflated by the rising price of oil (due to Big Brother's wars), a lack of proper exploration and exploitation of out natural resources (don't believe that we have such a paltry amount of hydrocarbon), tremendous levels of government spending (FD ~ CAD) and corruption.

Guess when the world gets off of oil, India will start discovering / exploiting new (then worth quite a bit less due to low demand) wealth of hydrocarbons. Why do we delay EVERYTHING?
  • Consider the following.
    1. Equity investment
    2. Retained earnings of foreign companies
    3. Intra company debt transfers
    4. External Commercial Borrowings

Which of these are included in FDI?

A.1, 2, 3 and 4
    B.Only 1
    C.1, 2 and 3
    D.2, 3 and 4
  • Consider the following statements:
    Devaluation results in
    1. Rise in the domestic price of exports
    2. Rise in the domestic price of imports
    3. Fall in the foreign price of exports
    4. Fall in the foreign price of imports
    Which of the above statements are correct?

A.1 and 3
    B.1 and 4
    C.2 and 3
    D.2 and 4
  • Ways and Means Advances (WMA) system is meant for:

A.Temporary credit from RBI to the governments
    B.Long-term credit from RBI to the government
    C.All types of credit from RBI to the government
    D.None of the above
  • Assertion: Fiscal deficit is greater than revenue deficit.
    Reason: Fiscal deficit includes total borrowing and sale of assets by the Government.

Codes:
    A.Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
    B.Both (A) and (R) are true but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
    C.(A) is true but (R) is false.
    D.(A) is false but (R) is true.
  • @rm1 Consider the following.
    1. Equity investment

A.1, 2, 3 and 4
    B.Only 1
    C.1, 2 and 3
    D.2, 3 and 4

Ans . C
  • rm1 said:

Consider the following.
    1. Equity investment

A.1, 2, 3 and 4
    B.Only 1
    C.1, 2 and 3
    D.2, 3 and 4

Ans C
    ECB is not included as far as I know as it is a separate source of financing apart from fdi,fii. However do elaborate if I am wrong...
    There are many rohits here so please don't confuse me with any other Rohit...

Rohit1 :)
  • Rohit_1 said:

rm1 said:

Consider the following.
    1. Equity investment

A.1, 2, 3 and 4
    B.Only 1
    C.1, 2 and 3
    D.2, 3 and 4

Ans C
    ECB is not included as far as I know as it is a separate source of financing apart from fdi,fii. However do elaborate if I am wrong...

Right!! It's C. :)
  • Consider the following statements regarding difference between first past the post system and Proportional representation system of election:

1.In case FPTP, every constituency elects one representative while under PR more than one representative may be elected from one constituency.
    2.In case of FPTP a party may get more votes than seats in the legislature while under PR every party gets seats in the legislature in proportion to the percentage of votes that it gets.

Which of the above are correct?

a)Only 1.
    b)Only 2.
    c)Both 1 and 2.
    d) Neither 1 nor 2.
  • rm1 said:

Consider the following statements regarding difference between first past the post system and Proportional representation system of election:

1.In case FPTP, every constituency elects one representative while under PR more than one representative may be elected from one constituency.
    2.In case of FPTP a party may get more votes than seats in the legislature while under PR every party gets seats in the legislature in proportion to the percentage of votes that it gets.

a)Only 1.
    b)Only 2.
    c)Both 1 and 2.
    d) Neither 1 nor 2.

Ans B
    In FPTP multiple members can also be elected in the order of votes received acc. to the vacancies to be filled...
    Correct me if I am wrong
    There are many rohits here so please don't confuse me with any other Rohit...

Rohit1 :)
  • Rohit1 said:

rm1 said:

Consider the following statements regarding difference between first past the post system and Proportional representation system of election:

a)Only 1.
    b)Only 2.
    c)Both 1 and 2.
    d) Neither 1 nor 2.

Ans B
    In FPTP multiple members can also be elected in the order of votes received acc. to the vacancies to be filled...
    Correct me if I am wrong

Its C.
    Reference: NCERT Class XII ,Indian Constitution at work, Page no.59.

• My first question here :-)

Which of the following is true about Noddy books :-

1) They are children books having toy stories

2) The Comptroller & Auditor General of India has poposed to come up with 'Noddy Books' version of its reports.

3) The idea behind CAG noddy books is to come up with miniature versions of its mammoth audit reports.

4)The purpose is to make audit reports easy to read, and sensitize various stakeholders such as students, civil society, decision makers, and thinkers.

Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
    (a) 1 only
    (b) 1,2 only
    (c) 2, 3, 4 only
    (d) All of the above.
    There's no problem with living a double life, it is the triple and quadruple lives that get you in the end. - Yuri Orlov, Lord Of War. | I am not knighted, don't call me Sir | Read Posting Rules | Books to Read for Pre | Compromise on everything, but not on Books
    Thanked by 1Partho
  • answer is C.
    my first answer here...:) lets see if it is correct.
  • Any others? :P
    There's no problem with living a double life, it is the triple and quadruple lives that get you in the end. - Yuri Orlov, Lord Of War. | I am not knighted, don't call me Sir | Read Posting Rules | Books to Read for Pre | Compromise on everything, but not on Books
  • ok all correct....:)
  • Neyawn said:

My first question here :-)

Which of the following is true about Noddy books :-

1) They are children books having toy stories

2) The Comptroller & Auditor General of India has poposed to come up with 'Noddy Books' version of its reports.

3) The idea behind CAG noddy books is to come up with miniature versions of its mammoth audit reports.

4)The purpose is to make audit reports easy to read, and sensitize various stakeholders such as students, civil society, decision makers, and thinkers.

Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
    (a) 1 only
    (b) 1,2 only
    (c) 2, 3, 4 only
    (d) All of the above.

D: All correct.

Noddy -the hero of Toy land

:D
Image Map

Preparing for 2014/ Interview? Read these

1. India After Gandhi - click here
2. Does the Elephant Dance? - click here
3. The Men Who Ruled India - click here
4. Sophie's World - click here
5. The Service Of The State - click here
6. English August - click here

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.
Just dont spread the word ;)

No Sign up required - Just sign in using your Google or facebook account

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

MISSION IAS 2014

Philosophy Booklist

1. An Introduction to Indian Philosophy[link]
2. Critical Survey of Indian Philosophy[link]
3. Critical History of Western Philosophy by Y Masih[link]
4. The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant[link]
5. Social and Political Philosophy by O P Gauba[link]

3 Essential Books for Public Administration (Optional)

1. Laxmikant's Public Administration [link]
2. Prasad & Prasad Administrative Thinkers[link]
3. Mohit Bhattacharya [link]

Top Posters