Test Series Students Notice Board | Prelims Test Series | INTERVIEW PREPARATION GUIDE | BOOKS FOR PRELIMS | First time user? Read posting RULES
INTERVIEW-2013 [Official] - Interview Preparation - UPSC 2013
INTERVIEW-2013 [Official]
  • Guys,

I am creating this thread for preparation for interview 2013.Here I am sharing my points based on my experience and wisdom.
    The interview panel will usually consist of 5 members(including chairperson).Of them two members will be usually from academics.One of the academic member will be from science disciplines and another from social science disciplines.The rest two members will be usually from bureaucracy,one being IAS and another non-IAS(they may be retired or incumbent).
    Please note that the interview panel doesn't have your main written score(source: Alagh committee Report).

-Get the info about academic and professional background of all upsc members from diverse sources(not from UPSC annual report only).The personality of the interviewer matters as much as that of the interviewee.You will get widely varying marks if you are interviewed by different boards at the same time on the same day.How to make sure that you get good marks irrespective of board?If you can anticipate many questions that are likely to be asked by any board.How to anticipate?Your anticipation should be based on your as well the chairperson's academic and professional background.Your answers to chairperson who will kickstart the show will set the tone of entire interview.You should speak with candour and clarity.

-Besides the chairperson,you don't know about other members.They will ask questions that might catch you off guard.They usually don't ask questions from the areas that you are not supposed to know.In case anyone asks,you can safely say "sorry" without losing marks.I was asked a question on architecture of a temple in my home state.The chairperson intervened by saying that "leave it,he is not a student of architecture).

-You can shape the interview by answering questions that might tempt the interviewer to ask certain questions from the areas you know very well. For example:my chairperson asked what are three most important challenges facing the country.I replied :socially,economically and environmentally unsustainable development 2nd internal security threat 3rd: hostile neighborhood.I was asked many questions from these areas that I could answer very satisfactorily.

-Have the definitional clarity about your academic disciplines and qualifications.I was asked by the chairperson "what is the difference between politics and political science."I have heard people being asked "difference between BE and B Tech.".

-Formulate your own viewpoints on the current topics of debate and discussion.

-Frame answers to some standard upsc interview questions like what should be the qualities of a good administrator,your role as a district collector etc.

-Identify the peculiarities in your detailed application form and summary sheet and frame your questions and answers.The chairperson holds the DAF and members hold your summary sheet.

-In coaching institutes during mock interviews,they will tell a lot of things about body language and manners you should adhere to.All these things hardly matter inside the real trial room.As soon as I entered the room I found three lady members including chairperson interspersed by two male members.I couldn't decide how to wish them.I wished one by one,mistakenly addressing "sir" as "madam" and the vice versa.I also did some mistakes while thanking them before I departed.But I got 189 marks.

-Don't overemphasize your get-up.That also hardly matters.I decided not to wear a neck tie at the last moment in the UPSC latrine,just 10 minutes before I was called.But I would not suggest others to do the same.

-Never appear overconfident about anything.Being a bit nervous is usual as well as good.

-Though your answers as well as your body language,all through your interview present yourself as a composed,judiciously decisive,amiable,sociable ,responsible and responsive person.

I would say UPSC interview is highly rewarding experience for a well prepared candidate. You will enjoy it a lot

As soon as you see your roll no on upsc site,unwind yourself a bit and get down to preparation soon after that.

[Moderator Note: This is the official interview discussion thread. Please maintain only formal communication here. Keep the posts minimal, meaningful, insightful, behoving of a prospective Civil Servant. All informal communication will be deleted ]
    Thanked by 1Oceanus
  • Thanks @Rahul123 for the head start. I am sure that this will be now a perpetual thread for the next 2 months at least :-)
    There's no problem with living a double life, it is the triple and quadruple lives that get you in the end. - Yuri Orlov, Lord Of War. | I am not knighted, don't call me Sir | Read Posting Rules | Books to Read for Pre | Compromise on everything, but not on Books
  • I just went through the entire post. Thanks a lot for taking time and effort to type it out and delineate so beautifully.

What board did you get and how was your score, if I may ask?
    There's no problem with living a double life, it is the triple and quadruple lives that get you in the end. - Yuri Orlov, Lord Of War. | I am not knighted, don't call me Sir | Read Posting Rules | Books to Read for Pre | Compromise on everything, but not on Books
  • Neyawn said:

I just went through the entire post. Thanks a lot for taking time and effort to type it out and delineate so beautifully.

What board did you get and how was your score, if I may ask?

In my first post,I have mentioned my score 189/300.My chairperson was Shashi Uban Tripathi

• @Rahul123 sir how much does the past academic results matter? i mean what if a person has flunked in grad or if a person is say national gold medalist!
    :D :( :D :( :D
  • @Rahul123 sir how much does the past academic results matter? i mean what if a person has flunked in grad or if a person is say national gold medalist!

so far as I am concerned,it doesn't matter at all.You have proved your mettle by qualifying the prelims and main written exam.
  • *I just went through the entire post, Quickly

I would add that I did a control+F to find it again.
  • @Rahul123 oho. although it (2013) will be my first attempt i am extremely worried about this. i flunked in my exams. i always think what if the interview board is like the mba interview boards which give a lot of weightage to the grad marks.
    :D :( :D :( :D
  • @Rahul thank you ....very helpful 1st post..
    CSE-2014 with Public Administration#(There was no other alternative)
  • @rahul123 thats a wonderful write up Bro... I just wish my roll appears in the interview list so that i can meaningfully indulge in this thread :)
    But I'm real doubtful that the interview board doesn't have mains marks ( my opinion)
    If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
  • i will request people kindly write here their experience of UPSC interview.....
    Thanx @rahul123....... for being a proactive person and start this thread
    Electrical Engineering | Geography | Indian Foreign Service 2013
  • rookie said:

@rahul123 thats a wonderful write up Bro... I just wish my roll appears in the interview list so that i can meaningfully indulge in this thread :)
    But I'm real doubtful that the interview board doesn't have mains marks ( my opinion)

clear your doubt.. they have daf ans summary sheet only..mains marks not available to them.
    if they know marks before interview ,no topper will get low marks in interview.
    :P
    CSE-2014 with Public Administration#(There was no other alternative)
  • @Rahul123 thanks..I have been following this forum since last few days. This was my first attempt and I was eagerly waiting for dis discussion to start. It will help us in a long way especially for first timers like me..wish all the members all the best for mains result.
  • @rahul ur analysis is very insightful.
  • @Rahul123 , very nice and useful write-up..

@others, Shall we try to write here some generic questions (based on Rahul's advice that - -Frame answers to some standard upsc interview questions)

• Please clear my doubt: Do the board know what posts and states you preferred?
    When Kafka wrote The Trial, he had the UPSC in mind!
  • As all of you know that adison invented bulb's tungsten in many year after failing more than 100 times
    once a person asked thomas adison that what was the main cause of his success...
    he replied i get success only one time and i was failed many times.so i can better explain that how will you fail 100 times rather than how one can get success..
    moral of story is that @Rahul123 got 180 marks. which is just o.k. and also rahul did nt make enough score to get finally success.That s why he is here. But for getting selection with higher rank you must secure more then 200 marks.
    so if you face interview like rahul you will get only 189 so its better to avoid what rahul did in his interview and by his experience you can learn...what to not do at interview...
    [Provocative]

[Moderator Note: While some members might want to contest moderating this and may question the judgement capacity of the moderators and question their love for justice, 179 people found this offensive and stupid. We'll go by the duck test[click] for all such comments]
  • @csyadav Do you even read what you write? I am flagging it as offensive & provocative.
  • Wait. I am explaining.
  • Why would you say something which you need to explain?
Image Map

Preparing for 2014/ Interview? Read these

1. India After Gandhi - click here
2. Does the Elephant Dance? - click here
3. The Men Who Ruled India - click here
4. Sophie's World - click here
5. The Service Of The State - click here
6. English August - click here

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.
Just dont spread the word ;)

No Sign up required - Just sign in using your Google or facebook account

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

MISSION IAS 2014

Philosophy Booklist

1. An Introduction to Indian Philosophy[link]
2. Critical Survey of Indian Philosophy[link]
3. Critical History of Western Philosophy by Y Masih[link]
4. The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant[link]
5. Social and Political Philosophy by O P Gauba[link]

3 Essential Books for Public Administration (Optional)

1. Laxmikant's Public Administration [link]
2. Prasad & Prasad Administrative Thinkers[link]
3. Mohit Bhattacharya [link]

Top Posters