Q. Consider the following statements regarding Khagolshala Asteroid Search Campaign (KASC)
1. It is an initiative of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
2. The high-quality astronomical data sets are distributed to students for analysis and identification of asteroids.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Recently Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya students have detected Eight Asteroids as part of the Khagolshala Asteroid Search Campaign 2021.
About Khagolshala Asteroid Search Campaign:
- Khagolshala Asteroid Search Campaign(KASC) is an initiative of the Office of Principal Scientific Adviser, Government of India, and SPACE Foundation.
- The campaign is the India chapter of an international student research program that has got students involved in the search for asteroids.
- Under the campaign, high-quality astronomical data sets are distributed to students through the PANSTARRS telescope for analysis and identification of asteroids.
- The students then analyze the data using software, which then leads to potential discoveries.
- These observations feed into the Near-Earth Object(NEO) data being compiled by NASA and the Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL).