- Government of India has taken a number of steps for the promotion as well as conservation of livestock extending benefits to the farmers.
- It is a result of the initiative taken by the Government of India that country is enjoying the first rank in milk production in the world.
- Apart from this country has acquired third rank in egg production.
- Pashudhan Sanjivani Nakul Swasth Patra Scheme has been launched for sustaining the health of livestock.
- Along with this UID is framing out the identity base of the livestock as well as a national data related thereof.
- For the first time in the country, a new initiative entitled as Rashtriya Gokul Mission along with the allocation of Rs. 500 crores has been initiated in December 2014 for the conservation as well promotion of domestic species under National Bovine Genetic and Dairy Development programme.
- Under this mission 14 gokul villages are being established and 41 livestock zones are being made sophisticated with more allocated funds for the improvement in bulls species.
- A National Bovine Genetic Centre has been established for the improvement in domestic species. For the first time in the country e-livestock portal has been launched.
Hazards to LiveStock
- Virus borne FMD as well as influenza like disorders pose serious challenges for the health of livestock.
- The bovines, buffaloes as well as pig species are mainly affected through these disorders.
- More than 50 crores livestock across the country are very much prone to these disorders.
- This International Laboratory will play an important role for the management of this disorder along with the infrastructures of bio security and bio-control in the arena of global as well as SAARC partnership.
Orissa Agriculture & Technology University
- Orissa Agriculture & Technology University had been established so as to meet the necessities of the farmers in the state.
- This is the second largest university in the country and the only agriculture university in the state.
- 31 KVKs have been set up with 100% financial assistance under ICAR which are working as on farm testing, frontline demonstration, skill oriented training, zonal day as well as farmers fair centres along with pioneering the multidimensional technological transfer to the required spots under Orissa Agriculture & Technology University, Bhubaneswar.
- Farmer’s Firstprogramme being conducted in Khorda district aimed at bringing about an improvement in farm productivity as well as benefits by transforming the middle to high costing production systems with participation approach.
- A project named as Arya is being organized in Nayagarh district of the state with the objective for attracting the youth towards agriculture entrepreneurs innovation sector.