- Some reports have appeared in a section of the press stating that the Nirbhaya Fund is underutilised.
- The Ministry of Finance, Government of India had set up a dedicated fund called Nirbhaya Fund in 2013, for implementation of initiatives aimed at enhancing the safety and security for women in the country.
- It is a non-lapsable corpus fund.
- Recognising the need to strengthen the mechanism for scrutiny and sanction of the proposals under Nirbhaya Fund, Ministry of Finance (DEA) has issued guidelines from time to time for administration and operationalization of the Fund.
Schemes of Ministry of Women and Child Development under Nirbhaya Fund
- Keeping in mind the need to have schematic interventions and proper mechanism for handholding of women in distress, 3 schemes i.e. ‘ One Stop Centre’, ‘Universalisation of Women Helpline’ and ‘Mahila Police Volunteer’ were initiated by the Ministry of Women and Child Development from the Nirbhaya Fund as follows:
- i. Popularly known as SakhiCentres, the One Stop Centre Scheme is being implemented across the country since 1st April 2015.
- It aims at establishing Centresto facilitate women affected by violence. It provides First aid, Medical aid, Police assistance, Legal aid and counselling support.
- Helpline specifically for women with a common number across the country will link the One Stop Centres being established by the Ministry of Women & Child Development.
- The Department of Telecommunication has allocated the number 181 to all States/UTs for Women Helpline.
- Mahila Police Volunteers (MPVs) will act as a link between police and community and help women in distress.
- Haryana has become the first state to start the Mahila Police Volunteer scheme.
Schemes of other Ministries/Departments under Nirbhaya Fund
- i) Ministry of Home Affairs:
- a) Emergency Response support System- For creation of an Emergency Response Support System (ERSS) with a total cost of Rs.321.69 crores which aims to integrate all emergency numbers to 112 with state of art technology.
- ERSS envisages an integrated computer aided emergency response platform to respond to distress calls and ensure speedy assistance to the distressed persons.
- b) Central Victim Compensation Fund -A Corpus Fund of Rs.200 crores to be disbursed to States/UT for Central Victim Compensation Scheme (CVCF) framed under section 357A CrPC.
- This will support States/UTs in providing fund towards compensation to the victim or her dependents who have suffered loss or injury as a result of the crimes (including survivors of rape and acid attack).
- ii) Ministry of Railways: Integrated Emergency Response Management System:
- This project of Railways at a cost of Rs.500 crores has been approved to provide round the clock security to women passengers in Railway Stations.
- iii) Abhaya Project Proposal (Andhra Pradesh): This proposal is for ensuring the safety of Women and Girl child during the transport (auto rickshaw) has been proposed by Andhra Pradesh with a cost of Rs. 138.49 Crores.
iCHIRALI: Friends Forever (Rajasthan) is a scheme to constitute Community Action Groups in 7 districts of Rajasthan.