The Union Public Service Commission has released the calendar for 2017. Wide ranging changes in the examination calendar have been made in the 2017 Calendar
|Event||This Year (2016)||CSE 2017||Comments|
|Date of Notification (CSE + IFS)||27 April, 2016||February 22, 2017||The Notification is earlier this year to complete the process early and hold Prelims in June|
|Last Date to Submit Application||27 May, 2016||March 17, 2017|
|Prelims Examination||August 7, 2017||June 18, 2017||This will leave less time for Prelims Examination. Candidates will have to gear up early for Prelims.|
|CSE Mains Examination||December 3, 2017||October 28, 2017||You will have 4 months and ten days to prepare for the Mains after Prelims. You will get 2 Weeks more to prepare for the exam.|
|IFS Mains Examination||November 12, 2017||December 3, 2017||For IFS this means very tough competition in Mains. Mostly candidates writing IFS are also writing CSE Mains, and prepare for IFS in a limited time. But from next year, candidates will have more than 1 month to exclusively to prepare for IFS. This should raise the bar for IFS as candidates are likely to be better prepared.|
What it means for IFS Aspirants
For IFS aspirants, it means below things –
- You get more time – one month extra – to prepare IFS Examination
- Competition for IFS will get tougher as better candidates will have extra one month to prepare.
- Competition may also toughen because many CSE aspirants do not fill up for IFS so that they can exclusively focus on CS Mains. The number of serious applicants for IFS is likely to go up because of this .
What it means for IAS aspirants
- It is good that the Calendar is available now. For IAS aspirants, an extra of 14 days between the Prelims and Mains is a boon. Boon because you get 14 extra days. This should especially help first timers.
- Prelims preparation will have to be begun earlier than usual.
Download UPSC 2017 Examination Calendar
Discussions on UPSC Calendar 2017