Subscribe to ForumIAS

Thread for Civil Engineering Optional Mains 2019

Anyone appearing with civil engineering optional?

31.1k views

64 comments

Yes I remember it being around 27.
How would you people assess this paper? I felt it was much tougher than the previous year...both papers

3k views

I think there were some unconventional questions like Radius of influence formula ,steel bearing plate and velocity over plate question

3.1k views

Guys,

I did not qualify Prelims but I attempted Civil Engineering Mains Paper in Exam like condition.

I was able to attempt 210 Marks ( Correct ) in Paper 1 and 215 in Paper 2. Theory attempt in Paper 2 is of moderate quality.

What should I expect after normalisation ?

What were the marks of students who qualified CSE 2018 with CE as an Optional ? Any help here would be really helpful.

3.1k views

@RockyBalboadifficult to set a definite score because the fluctuation must be annual. But from whatever info I could gather, it could be anywhere between 0.75 to 0.85 of what you are expecting

3.1k views

@g12345did u consider self weight in the question?? It has to be considered as it significantly changes the results when values are small

2.5k views

@Aspirant123This figure that I quoted has no solid rationale behind it. I got it based on experiences of 2 people, both having Math as an optional. One person has also shared his experience here with respect to civil engineering. For him too the ratio was in this range

3.1k views

@g12345As far as I can estimate from my civil engineering Marks last year,they don't depend on ratio. There is a well structured formula forscaling.Itwill depend on what's average of civil engineering minus average of all optionals multiplied by a factor which depends on your relative position in civili engineering.For instance,if u get 200 marks in paper 1 may be only 4-5 marks will be deducted but if u score 120 then 25 marks will be deducted.
Secondly it's not the scaling which kills but low marks which are being awarded when answer is wrong.

2.5k views

@g12345I think the ratio 0.75 - 0.85 is not constant but depends on difficulty level of paper. Papers of 2017 and 2018 were comparatively easier. 2016 paper 1 and 2013 paper 2 were difficult and few people scored very high marks ( 213 in paper 1 in 2016 and 178 in paper 2 in 2013). This years paper was on the difficult side and scaling may be more lenient.

3.1k views

@abhinav23raj436@Aspirant123Your arguments seem more logical. There must be a proper process to scaling and it must be proportional to marks scored.

3.1k views

@g12345go for ies master has less errors

2.9k views

anyone giving IFoS mains with civil engineering optional?

3.8k views

Did anyone submit anything for representation regarding the civil engineering paper?

3k views

@abhinav23raj436bhai your argument is definitely logical..but i support what@g12345said...with experience in my last mains and twice in ESE...i found the ratio to be around 0.7-0.8 of the attempt i did qualitatively..perhaps crude yardstick i d say

3k views

@KhamoshkrantikariWere there any controversial questions?

3.1k views

Yaar P2 Q.5.e) chlorine demand...throw some light...beyond breakpoint whatever chlorine is added should be reflected in solution..but it was not so..what u people think?

3k views

@Khamoshkrantikarisaid inThread for Civil Engineering Optional Mains 2019:

Yaar P2 Q.5.e) chlorine demand...throw some light...beyond breakpoint whatever chlorine is added should be reflected in solution..but it was not so..what u people think?

Galat ho gya bhai tera.

3.1k views

Kaise karna tha ye solve?

3.1k views

@CivilianHi, Do you have any active telegram group for Optional preparation ?

2.3k views

Did anyone manage to clear mains with civil engineering?

3.8k views
Write your comment…