Subscribe to ForumIAS

Thread to Clarify Doubts, Seek Guidance from 2021 Batch Civil Servants

I have a question: pessimistic or realistic, depending on how you view it:

Should we work on a backup or go all in with the preparation? I know this is different for different people, but I still want to gauge what most aspirants seem to think of this. It's a tough choice because any time commitment to any other opportunity effectively seeps away from the prep itself, and yet the opportunity costs seem to loom bigger the deeper you go into the prep.   

3.1k views
@Rick_C137 You said it yourself, it will vary from person to person. But, in general, the usual discourse among people is to have backup plans.
I however do not agree to this mentality for the simple reason that to succeed here in UPSC, I need to go beyond my limits to unimaginable extent. Personally for me, backup plan makes me lazy, uncommitted to my original plan. Some people work better with even 4-4 backup plans. 
So, listen to your inner voice and judge your outside actions. If a backup plan reduces stress, go for it. If it makes you lazy towards UPSC even 1%, then drop it. It is a very very tough thing to do, but only you know the answer to it. You will find examples from both sides, but you will slightly tilt in one way or other. That's your intuition telling you something you don't yet know, so I would suggest you follow it. Good luck!! 
Here something for you- https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/i-never-had-plan-b/article3384969.ece

This was very helpful and makes sense, thanks a lot

5.4k views
@DM Sure will read up the article, thanks for helping out 

5.3k views
Write your comment…