Subscribe to ForumIAS

Thread to Clarify Doubts, Seek Guidance from 2021 Batch Civil Servants

My Questions

1. Could you please give a broad timeline of your preparation?, including
a) When you started with & completed Mains Topics?
b) Was Optional Preparation Simultaneous?
c) Your Revision strategy. Daily? Weekly?
d) When did you start giving Mocks for Pre?
e) When did you write 1st answer?
f) Time set aside for Prelims-only Preparation (and how were Mocks incorporated in this phase)

2. Your specific strategy for Current Affairs:
a) In how much depth did you read Newspaper (Only Op-Ed/Science Tech?, or all of it?)
b) When did you read CA Magzines? Did you read them bit-by-bit everyday, or all in one sitting?

3. How did your general Day Schedule look like?
a) Did Newspaper first, or Static Subject?
b) Did 1 subject per day? Or,GS & Optional Simultaneously everyday?  

35.1k views

@Pam123  Which monthly magazine did you follow? I find Vision's mag (mostly their mains oriented articles) full of gibberish, only intended to make them longer, so that puts me off from reading them. Did you mark the magazine, or made notes out of it for quick revision?

Sorry if these questions sound childish, but I'm really struggling with incorporating Current Affairs in the preparation.

32.6k views

Thanks@Pam123. One more question: How did you approach Mapping? Specifically asking considering Gandikota Canyon, Lake Faguibine questions this year. Was mapping helpful for them?

32.5k views
@morsmodre I am struggling with the same problem regarding VisionIAS monthly magazines. Can't finish any due to unnecessary lengthiness. But every topper(mostly) recommends them so can't risk not reading it. 

@HermoineGrangerYou using 'Morsmodre' gave me a good chuckle! Welcome to the Dark side :P. All hail the Dark Lord!

32.1k views

CA for mains, one can rely completely on Dipin sir's CA classes. I also thought that I will do vision also or Epic magazine but believe me that's is practically impossible. Though Dipin sir gives class notes, one can make short notes of sir's classes for last minute revision.

Another benefit is that the effort that sir puts in will prompt you to work harder. 

Another good thing is that after going through the classes, you will gain enough weapons ( read content) that will help you in the war (mains examination). 

If one can religiously do the basic books/notes and add that with sir's CA classes, you can aim to be in the top percentiles as far as GS scores are concerned. 

PS: When I say religiously, make sure you revise these notes 2-3 times. 

Hope this helps.

@impatientoptimist  Is there any Demo video for the same?

4.2k views

Saint_said

» show previous quotes

https://academy.forumias.com/current-affairs-2023

For me its saying,"Sorry, Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here"

Edit: got in working in a different browser

4.1k views

@CSLWARRIOR @Pam123  More Questions:

1. How did you cover/ analyse PYQs: Year-wise, or Subject-Wise

2. Did you use any material for the same? Reading each one, then researching the options is taking disproportionate time.

3. If I analyse last 5 yrs GS 1 papers holistically, and cover the rest from a compilation (Ex, Disha), would that be a good strategy?

4k views
» show previous quotes

Add me to the list of selected guys from forum AIR 107. I will also provide my two cents on the above questions.

1. Could you please give a broad timeline of your preparation?, including

It took me 3 years and 2 attempts to clear this exam (June 2019- 2022). Though I had given two attempts before but not prepared as such. 

a) When you started with & completed Mains Topics?

I started the common topics together via standard books from the beginning in 2019. However, I did Mains specific topics only in 2021 attempt from Vision IAS VAM. 

b) Was Optional Preparation Simultaneous?

Yes, my optional is Management. But to manage it was a big struggle as no standard coaching or material. However, in the end, it worked I got 276 in optional which is pretty good this year. 

c) Your Revision strategy. Daily? Weekly?

No particular strategy, I made notes on Cerego a timely reminder app and use to revise them once in a while. 

Also i kept a target of 3 revision of notes prior to exam. 

However, I did not create notes for CA (though tried initially) and so no revision only daily newspaper. 

d) When did you start giving Mocks for Pre?

after 3-4 months into the preparation. I started with Vision and Insights sectional tests

e) When did you write 1st answer?

after 1-2 months of prep from InsightsonIndia daily secure initiative. Though did not follow after 2-3 months. If I had done, I think it would have certainly helped. 

f) Time set aside for Prelims-only Preparation (and how were Mocks incorporated in this phase)

I used to give at least one mock on each Sunday in my first attempt. Second I had better understanding and confidence so increased frequency primarily in last month with 2-3 mocks/ week.

Also, i used to give Unacademy Combat every Sunday, i liked it. 

2. Your specific strategy for Current Affairs:

a) In how much depth did you read Newspaper (Only Op-Ed/Science Tech?, or all of it?)

I primarily read Hindu, but for some months in between Indian Express as well. Initially a lot of time upto 3 hours as well but later got an understanding (or due to COVID, paper was short) was able to finish in less than an hour. 

I used to go through the whole paper and skip non-relevant parts including Opeds which are not useful.

b) When did you read CA Magzines? Did you read them bit-by-bit everyday, or all in one sitting?

I tried but could not follow them. However, i read vision PT365 in both attempts, not all booklets but of environment, culture, IR and S&T. However, nothing came in Prelims as much I remember. 

So daily newspaper reading without notes was my source of CA. Prelims is less CA oriented and Mains is more. For Mains I took ForumIAS MGP+ test series and did IAS Baba TLP, both helped immensely with CA. 

3. How did your general Day Schedule look like?

a) Did Newspaper first, or Static Subject?

No fixed schedule, but usually started with paper

b) Did 1 subject per day? Or,GS & Optional Simultaneously everyday?  

Not 1 per day, but mixed 2-3 subjects to break the monotony. 

Hope this helps. 

@Newton981 Congrats! Saw you replying to 2 year old threads on Management optional, and checked the blog you linked. Should have guessed!

Could you provide a timeline of Optional Preparation too? How many revisions did it take for you to feel comfortable in it? And did you give any mocks for the same?

Mine is Commerce & Accountancy, so almost all of Paper 2 and half of Paper 1 (Financial Management) overlaps with Management.

5k views

1. What is currency hedging?

2. "If India accepts IEA's full time membership, she has toraise strategic oil reserves to 90 days requirement." Please explain what it (the underlined phrase) means.

3. "Poll panelhas also been seeking modification to form 24A to mandate disclosure of donations above Rs. 2000, instead of Rs. 20000." Please explain (underlined phrase).

4. An example:

BJD party secures a large chunk of vote share in Odisha and wins 12/21 LS seats in the last election. Can it be called a national recognized party?

[It secures >6% vote-share if I include smaller states (like Manipur,, Goa, Sikkim) to make up the condition

a) Vote-share is >6% in 4 states.. and 

obviously it conforms; b) num of seats in LS= 11 i.e, >4]

N.B.- 1. In order to simplify things if answered in Hindi or meme-ic language, tab bhi chalega.

2. I am absolutely new to CSE. Pls overlook any glitches/ silliness in queries.

1. Hedging means doing something to reduce risks. Currency Hedging means reducing risk of changes in value of currency (in relation to other Currencies)

2. India keeps some crude oil for emergencies (Ex, war in Gulf supplier countries). So, it would have to keep enough Crude Oil to last 90 days, without any new supply, if it joins IEA

3. Poll Panel = Election Commission

4. Vote share in each of the 4 states SEPARATELY should be >6%

These are very basic terms. Watch Daily Current Affairs videos (Ex, StudyIQ) for some days to gain familiarity. 

4.7k views
Write your comment…