Subscribe to ForumIAS

Thread for those struggling with handwriting speed

If there are others like me who are struggling to finish papers due to slow handwriting, here we can discuss issues, exercises, pens etc. which can be helpful.

goldberry,utsav05622844
35.9k views

70 comments

@BurningdesireI have. It can't be refilled. It has been recommended by Yo Yo Choti Singh, last year's topper. But personally it did not help me. Maybe my issue has more to do with my writing technique rather than the pen.

4.6k views

@Akbar_Birbalsaid inThread for those struggling with handwriting speed:

@Joeyisthebestyes, i am also using V7. Found it to be the best among all the pens i tested till date.

+1
The only problem is that the pen leaves an impression on the backside.

3.9k views

I use pentel emergel0.7 roller pen,my handwriting is very bad with ball point pen but with this pen I could clearly see improvement.its cheap too 30rs mrp .speed is also great with it just has no rubber grip so might irritate a little

3.5k views

While writing MGP I did experiment a bit with this
At first I was hardly completing 14-15 questions where I spent too much time on elaborating and ended up leaving 45-50 marks worth questions unattended
Now as soon as I realise there is only half an hour left,I start writing answers to left over questions simultaneously??
I know it sounds crazy but instead of trying to write a quality answer and loosing out on 2-3 questions, trying to give quantity the priority for last few questions worked for me
However great is your answer in forum tests they only give 5/10(near perfect answer) and 7/15
So instead of trying to get that, 3-3.5 across 3-4 questions would be more productive and it has yielded results for me!

SohamThakur,
4.2k views

pilot v5 rt

Currently i am using this pen...
What i got is-
Refill
Not leaving any mark
Smooth as it should be

3.9k views

@ManchesterUnited
I totally agree with you.. there's very less difference in highest and lowest marks in humanities..so instead of getting an highest marks in 5-10 question try to get lowest or average in 20 questions.. productivity will be more..i am working on this principle..but still taking 10-12 min for one answer

3.9k views

@BurningdesireI am now almost comfortable with GS 1 paper completion due to its factual nature
2 and 3 requires a lot of writing I suppose as most of it will be linked to CA!

4.1k views

@ManchesterUnitedsaid inThread for those struggling with handwriting speed:

While writing MGP I did experiment a bit with this
At first I was hardly completing 14-15 questions where I spent too much time on elaborating and ended up leaving 45-50 marks worth questions unattended
Now as soon as I realise there is only half an hour left,I start writing answers to left over questions simultaneously??
I know it sounds crazy but instead of trying to write a quality answer and loosing out on 2-3 questions, trying to give quantity the priority for last few questions worked for me
However great is your answer in forum tests they only give 5/10(near perfect answer) and 7/15
So instead of trying to get that, 3-3.5 across 3-4 questions would be more productive and it has yielded results for me!

This works in UPSC also. Infact this is most rewarding way when u get to know ki "ab paper pura nhi hoga". I done it in ethics this year. In end 5 minutes I was writing 3 questions simultaneously ! Earlier I used to get carried away and left 2 3 questions blank. This time I went for simultaneously writing style in end. And it works. ATB

3.1k views

@Yo_Yo_Choti_SinghWhat simultaneously writing exactly mean ? You write half part of one question , then move to another and so on . Again coming back to it , woukd take time - turning pages , you would refer to question a little as you must have been carried away by other question.

Can you throw light on this ?

And others too ?

3.4k views

@Akkkui am also understanding same way...
please enlighten us@Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh@ManchesterUnited

3.6k views

@UrvashiSay you are into the last 30 mins of the paper and you have 5-6 questions left
You know answers to every question but if you start writing them individually you may write full answers to 2-3 questions but upsc wont give you 15 to it and you loose 45 marks straight
What I plan to do is answer all these in parts
Write intro of all the questions compulsorily that should take 1-2 mins for each question and you will be assured of 1/2 marks for each question
And after that depending on the knowledge you possess on each question give attention to them
In this process your answers might look average for these last few questions but in my opinion average content plus attending full paper triumphs over extraordinary content and 5 questions left alone!

4.1k views

@ManchesterUnitedNow got it.. thanks for elaborating and sharing..?

3.6k views

I think Daily Writing Practice will help Improve Writing Speed.

Students who attend Coaching classes, Write NOTES/running Notes, so usually Their WRITING SPEED is much Better.

Writing short Notes of Editorials/ Essay TOPICS etc will help in Improving Writing Speed.

We have to write at-least 3 hrs/day DAILY for at-least from 1 month before mains.

Solving Mock Mains Test Series Will be MUCH Helpful for TIME MANAGEMENT.

On exam day, Before entering exam hall Take an Rough SHEET and keep writing anything for 10 mins so that your hand will Get Better Warm Up. (This seems like a Joke but practically it works)

Coming to Pens, Pilot v5 is Best one or Any SIMILAR Pens will be helpful in Writing Faster. (My Opinion)
(PinPoint Pen is also equally Good)
?
Wish You ALL SUCCESS

3.8k views

Many toppers have suggested giving equal time to each question. How would that work out? You constantly look at the watch and move on to the next question when time is up, even if the question isn’t over? Has anyone tried this? Is it workable?

4.6k views

@Akkkusaid inThread for those struggling with handwriting speed:

@Yo_Yo_Choti_SinghWhat simultaneously writing exactly mean ? You write half part of one question , then move to another and so on . Again coming back to it , woukd take time - turning pages , you would refer to question a little as you must have been carried away by other question.

Can you throw light on this ?

And others too ?

Make keywords as headings and leave adequate space in between.. do this heading exercise for all questions.. thereafter start filling the gaps at maximum speed.. ur aim should be writing few lines in each heading rather than furnishing one two answers fully.. use minimum words to say things.. just keep enriching as and when u recall some good point in previous question/headings.. use all ur fingers to keep tab of exact pages.. it helps.. try it back home for 10 minutes (3/4 questions) .. try to write something for all + maximum overall. It helps. ATB?yu

JessicaPearson,
4.8k views

@Yo_Yo_Choti_SinghThanks A Lot for Enumerating .

Do answer this for us too ....

Ethics structure ( no of questions of theory and case studies & their marks also I think ) keep on changing . And , we cannot even plan how to go about it in exam . Can you elaborate on this !

3.4k views

@Yo_Yo_Choti_Singhsir, how to improve the aesthetics part in answer writing and how to reduce the monotony in our answer writing? plz guide.

3.5k views

@Akkkusaid inThread for those struggling with handwriting speed:

@Yo_Yo_Choti_SinghThanks A Lot for Enumerating .

Do answer this for us too ....

Ethics structure ( no of questions of theory and case studies & their marks also I think ) keep on changing . And , we cannot even plan how to go about it in exam . Can you elaborate on this !

Why you need to plan anything.. remember you have only 1 goal in mind .. "Each 30 minutes, I attempt 40 marks paper".. This should be your pious goal.. so that you are able to finish paper in scheduled time.. irrespective of question pattern , this criteria shall be fulfilled.. for example if you attempt 1 case study of 20 arks and 2 10 markers in total 30 minutes.. it's perfectly good.. 30:40 rule only to be remembered and practiced at any cost.. rest is meaningless IMO

3.1k views

@Akbar_Birbalsaid inThread for those struggling with handwriting speed:

@Yo_Yo_Choti_Singhsir, how to improve the aesthetics part in answer writing and how to reduce the monotony in our answer writing? plz guide.

1. Draw flowcharts and diagrams
  2. Write under headings and subheadings.
  3. Quote simple facts/reports and highlight it.
  4. IMPROVE YOUR CONTENT COMPETENCE and forget about aesthetics beyond legibility. Ultimately relevant and diverse content is what gives you marks.

ATB?

3.1k views
Write your comment…