Subscribe to ForumIAS

Thread to Clarify Doubts, Seek Guidance from 2021 Batch Civil Servants

Hi, everyone! Starting this thread, so we can all seek specific guidance from, clarify our doubts from friends who successfully cleared CSE 2021. Please feel free to ask any and all questions, however trivial, so we can collectively benefit.

It's opportune time for this, as with Pre 2022 ending in a few hours, friends giving Pre this year can also benefit from their Post-Pre Preparation Experience.

Tagging 

@sjerngal  @Pam123 @AzadHindFauz @TheFinalStand @CSLWARRIOR @Arsene @Bubba_gump @Apollo11 @impatientoptimist  @whatif1997, and requesting them to enlighten us plebs on tricks & trickeries of preparation.

Edit: Adding@Newton981 (AIR 107)

curious_kid,DMand25 otherslike this
130.4k views

248 comments

Can I afford to skip Mains 365 in case I join Forum Current Affairs classes?? Seniors, please help

I found it very difficult to internalize the current affairs provided by Mains 365 last year.

4.2k views
Any working professional who also made it to the list? How did they manage? Did you join any year long test series? How did you schedule your revisions and a
Bhaveshrtk96,
4.2k views

Can I afford to skip Mains 365 in case I join Forum Current Affairs classes?? Seniors, please help

I found it very difficult to internalize the current affairs provided by Mains 365 last year.

+1

4.1k views

I haven't even seen Mains 365 in my attempt and have managed to score fairly good in all my GS papers. 
I relied solely on Dipin Sir's classes for CA  and I think it worked really well in my favour.

See, I will be really very honest, after a point, it does not matter what sources you refer to. If Mains 365 works good for someone, so be it. If Dipin sir's class helps you, then all the more good. 
What really matters is that the content you are consuming should be used in your answers. 
So many people refer to so many sources, they make elaborate notes, but do not really use it in their answers. So there is no point at all in doing so. 

Find what works for you, use that source judiciously and incorporate those in your answers. 
PErsonally I like to study through audio-visual format and hence I would choose such classes over magazines any day.. 
Likewise, find your strengths ..

DM,Mr_ Abhiand2 otherslike this
4k views

2022 was my 2nd attempt and i am unable to find a good accomodation in delhi.

What will i miss if i join the test series and dipin sir classes online. 

Please help and guide me

If you are sure of appearing in mains 2022, please don't waste time searching for accomodations. This is not the right time to do that. 
I would recommend you to carry on with online mode of education.
1. You will not miss anything per se, if you attend dipin sir's classes online. 
2. You might find it difficult to maintain discipline while attempting the test series, but it is really up to your will power to do so. 
Try to finish tests in one sitting in stipulated time .. Analyse the test papers properly, go through the model answers. .Take help from mentors over call, if you feel the need. .. Make a good peer group who are motivated enough .. 

RAGNAROK,Subtle_Art
4k views
@sjerngal Thank you so much, ma'am.

I scored 112 and 76 in GS2 & GS3 respectively in Mains 2021. I felt that whatever I scored was due to the notes I prepared and if I would have been able to internalize some of the current affairs better (like SCO, AUKUS, India-Africa, and Environment section), it would have helped me to score better marks in these papers.

Additionally, If Dipin Sir's classes can help me to cover those current affairs in less time than Mains 365 then I can utilize that time for my optional which requires greater attention this time. 

GaryVee,sjerngaland2 otherslike this
3.9k views
Deleted
@sjerngal I would like some advice on my preparation.

Mains 2020 gs1 70 gs2 92 gs3 99 gs4 93 . But in optional I got 217 .

Mains 2021 essay 127 gs1 78 gs2 88 gs3 68 gs4 82 optional 257

I understand my problems as two-fold. 1) lack of proper answer writing practice. Due to lack of time I couldn't do justice to 2-3 questions/ paper which I knew. Plus presentation needs improvement. I have joined MGP+ and AWFG.

2) lack of quality content. I have basic notes(my) on syllabus points but they lack value addition. I haven't consolidated, interrelated topics, didn't refer to reports, niti aayog etc. How should I solve this problem? Do I join any classes like QEP, mains advanced or do it on my own(I'm comfortable with both)

3.8k views
Deleted
@sjerngal  @sjerngal  I would like some advice on my preparation.

I understand my problems as two-fold. 1) lack of proper answer writing practice. Due to lack of time I couldn't do justice to 2-3 questions/ paper which I knew. Plus presentation needs improvement. I have joined MGP+ and AWFG for it .

2) lack of quality content. I have basic notes(my) on syllabus points but they lack value addition. I haven't consolidated, interrelated topics, didn't refer to reports, niti aayog  etc. How should I solve this problem? Do I join any classes like QEP, mains advanced or do it on my own(I'm comfortable with both)

3.7k views
@sjerngal @sjerngal  I would like some advice on my preparation for mains 2022

I understand my problems as two-fold. 1) lack of proper answer writing practice. Due to lack of time I couldn't do justice to 2-3 questions/ paper which I knew. Plus presentation needs improvement
I have joined MGP+ and AWFG .
2) lack of quality content. I have basic notes(my) on syllabus points but they lack value addition. I haven't consolidated, interrelated topics, didn't refer to reports, niti aayog  etc. How should I solve this problem? Do I join any classes like QEP, mains advanced or do it on my own(I'm comfortable with both)

Sorry for the spam , I'm new here couldn't figure out the portal ,deleted 2 comments.

CRISPRCas9,
3.7k views

@Neyawn any community meet happening this time?? :smile:

DM,BattingBabaand1 otherslike this
3.8k views

@sjerngalCould you pls share your marks and a link for your answer copies? They will help us in analyzing the quality of answers for a particular score.

3.6k views

@sjerngalCould you pls share your marks and a link for your answer copies? They will help us in analyzing the quality of answers for a particular score.

DM,Auroraand7 otherslike this
5.1k views

Thanks. Didn't know your optional was anthro. Could you share brief anthro strategy- how much answer writing or how many mock tests that you have written; primary source, value addition.

3.6k views

I have not really written many tests. Wrote just one FLT test each for GS-2,3,4 and 4 tests for optional. (due to time constraint).
Will share whatever tests I have written on my telegram channel. 

BattingBaba,Ash5Manand1 otherslike this
3.7k views
@sjerngal just skimmed through the channel, I think many of may doubts would be resolved.

sjerngal,
3.4k views

@Neyawn any community meet happening this time?? :smile:

Yes it will happen. 

U will come na? Sure😀

sjerngal,
3k views

Any Geography optional topper/senior/aspirant,

Please help me with how to prepare case studies.

Source to prepare it? (There are so many like DTE, Newsletter, Yojna, etc that's why confused)

How to prepare it? (Unit-wise, Topic-wise, Point-wise, or randomly)

How many for each topic?

Please help.

3.1k views
Can Any one give some suggestion on answer writing programme of SOMP?  I have some doubts regarding their credibility 
2.9k views

I have not really written many tests. Wrote just one FLT test each for GS-2,3,4 and 4 tests for optional. (due to time constraint).

@sjerngalFrom anthro mock tests to final exam: Have you improved the answer quality significantly or only minor changes?

2.8k views

@sjerngalFrom anthro mock tests to final exam: Have you improved the answer quality significantly or only minor changes?

• I improved introduction and conclusion
  • Did a lot of value addition, interlinkages of topics 
  • Tried to finish paper on time (wasn't able to do justice to 2-3 questions in paper 1, hence less marks in that)
  • Wrote more points and tried to make answers non generic. 

P.S: In the test series, examiner deliberately tried to give less marks, so that we don't get overjoyed. 

BattingBaba,Pgpt
2.8k views
Write your comment…