Q.1 Consider the following statements regarding Indian Monsoons:
1. Rainfall decreases from east to west
2. Most of the monsoonal rain is convectional
3. Tamil Nadu receives a great amount of rainfall from north-east monsoons
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 3 only
c) 1 and 2 only
d) 1 and 3 only
Ans: d) Most of the monsoonal rain is orographic and not convectional. Statement 1 and 3 are correct.
Q.2 In India, Tropic of Cancer does not pass through which of the following state?
c) Arunachal Pradesh
Ans :c) In India ToC passes through : Gujarat, Rajasthan, M.P, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, West Bengal, Mizoram, Tripura.
Q.3 Match the following international conventions:
1. Bonn Convention : A. Hazardous Chemical and Pesticides
2. Rotterdam Convention: B. Migratory Birds
3. Stockholm Convention: C. Depletion of Ozone Layer
4. Vienna Convention : D. Persistent Organic Compounds
Select the answer from the codes given below:
a) 1-B, 2-A, 3-D, 4-C
b) 1-B, 2-D, 3-A, 4-C
c) 1-C, 2-A, 3-D, 4-B
d) 1-A, 2-B, 3-C, 4-D
Ans: a) Self Explanatory
Q.4 Recently, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has declared few animals as vermin for particular state. Which among the following is/are the correct pair of vermin and states notified in?
1. Wild Boar – Uttrakhand
2. Nilgais – Bihar
3. Monkeys – Himachal Pradesh
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
a) 2 and 3 only
b) 2 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) 1, 2 and 3
Ans: d) The Supreme Court has asked animal rights organizations to make representations before the Centre regarding three notifications declaring nilgais, monkeys and wild boar as vermin, with the Animal Welfare Board of India terming the government’s step an arbitrary decision.
Animal Welfare Board had questioned the notification of the Ministry of Environment
, Forest and Climate Change declaring nilgais, monkeys and wild boar as vermin for one year in Bihar, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. It has also termed this as an arbitrary decision.
What does it mean?
- This decision will allow state forest authorities and people to carry out an extermination (hunting/poaching) of vermins outside the reserve forest on a large scale.
- To do so, they will no longer require permission from the forest or wildlife officials and thus their actions cannot attract penal provisions of the WPA.
- It will seek to balance local population of the vermins to mitigate the damage to human life, crops and other properties in the state for ensuring conservation of wildlife in forests.
What is Vermin?
- Vermin means wild mammals and birds which are harmful to crops, farm animals or which carry disease.
- In India, wild animals can be declared as vermin if they have become
- Dangerous to human life or property (including standing crops on any land).
- Become disabled or diseased as to be beyond recovery.
- Using these provisions, any animal listed in Schedule I to IV of WPA can be declared vermin by listing it in Schedule V for a specific period.
- Currently, some animals like the common crow, fruit bats, mice and rats have been listed as vermin in Schedule V of WPA.
Q.5 Which of the following fall into the category of terrestrial planets?
Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
a) 1, 2 and 3
b) 2, 3 and 4
c) 1, 2 and 4
d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
Ans: d) All 4 are terrestrial (earth-like) planets. The remaining planets are called Jovian planets.
Q.6 Which of the following gases deplete ozone as well as warm the atmosphere:
d) Both (a) and (b)
Ans: b) HFC does not deplete ozone. It is in fact a substitute for HCFC and CFC which deplete ozone, however, although it does warm the atmosphere but the question asked for both the effects i.e depletion of ozone and heating.
CFC acts as a GHG as well as an ozone depleting gas.
O3 is a GHG but does not deplete ozone.
Q.7 Eight degree channel separates:
a) Lakshadweep from Minicoy
b) Lakshadweep from Maldives
c) Great Nicobar from Sumatra
d) Great Nicobar from Andamans
Lakshadweep from Minicoy – 9 degree channel
Lakshadweep from Maldives – 8 degree channel
Great Nicobar from Sumatra – 6 degree channel
Great Nicobar from Andamans – 10 degree channel