Q. Consider the following statements regarding Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign
1. It is a campaign of the Indian Army.
2. The entire area of Cherrapunji is going to be adopted for plantation.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?

[A] 1 only

[B] 2 only

[C] Both 1 and 2

[D] Neither 1 nor 2

Answer: B

The Union Home Minister has launched the Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign at Sohra (Cherrapunji). 

About Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign: 

  • Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign is a campaign of the Assam Rifles. 
  • Under the campaign, the entire area of Cherrapunji is going to be adopted by Assam Rifles for plantation. 
  • So when the trees are cut for fuel and other uses, 80% of the total land will be planted with traditional and long lifespan trees. The remaining 20% will be used for animal feed, ornamental plants, and nursery which will meet all the requirements and help reduce the feeling of long lifespan trees. 
  • With this technique, multi-level farming is done, and the forest grows 30 times faster and after 3 years it becomes free of maintenance. 

Read more: Union Home Minister launches the Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign